Construction of a brand new Hotel Dieu Hospital began in 1950 and opened as a 125-bed healthcare facility on September 10, 1953. A new wing was later added in 1962, creating an additional 54,000 square feet (5,000 m2) of space for the growing hospital.
In 1975, Niagara Region's first and only dialysis unit opened at Hotel Dieu, leading to the opening of a regional diabetes centre in 1987, and the L.B. Herzog Dialysis Centre in 1994.
On August 8, 2005, Hotel Dieu assumed governance and management of Shaver Hospital and Niagara Rehab Centre in the city's south-end. The Hotel Dieu hospital is taken over by the Niagara Health System and opens later that year as the Ontario Street Site of the NHS, providing minor acute care.
The Hotel Dieu is now closed.
Text Source: Wikipedia